Local News

 

New plans in place for Ridge-Culver theater complex

New plans in place for Ridge-Culver theater complex

@

A new security plan will be in place for Friday night's shows at the Regal Ridge Culver Theater after fights between groups of young people closed the place down last Friday.

Irondequoit Supervisor Mary Joyce D'Aurizio said it's a two point plan. It starts with three police cars patrolling the plaza outside the movie theaters. D'Aurizio said the town will be pro-active, but police can't be stationed inside a private business without probable cause.

Adam Bello, the Democratic Party candidate challenging Republican D'Aurizio in the fall election, said much more needs to be done to hold Regal accountable. But D'Aurizio said court decisions have said any steps such as imposing a curfew would have to come from Regal Theaters, not from the town.

D'aurizio said Regal Theater management has agreed to have security guards inside and to limit the number of young people seated in each theater. Nobody is saying by how much.

There were 400 or more teenagers in one auditorium last week when the trouble started during a showing of "Insidious-Chapter 2."

Regal Theaters management will also be on hand specifically for screenings of violent or horror movies like "Insidious 2" so the company can respond faster if things get out of hand. FInally, the town will monitor social media to see if there's any indication trouble is starting.

D'Aurizio said there are more points in the police response plan that will be kept confidential.

@

 

More Articles